Ban the Burkha?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ban the Burkha?

Post by Elemental on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 7:44 pm

As you may or may not know, France has now joined the list of countries banning the Burkha and there is a call for Britian to follow (google it you nonces I can't be arsed finding a news link).

I read a good post on the CCFC forum about it, that basically summed it all uo for me:

"Not read the whole thread so apologies if somebody has covered what I am about to say.

The main argument seems to be that you could rob a bank wearing a Burkah. True, but when was the last time this actually happened? How many women actually wear a Burkah in the bank for that matter, how many women actually wear the Burkah full stop? Banning it seems to be taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Or perhaps more appropriately, a solution looking for a problem.

If we decided that covering your face is an issue, then you need to ban covering your face. This would mean that football fans wearing scarves over the face, as they often do, will be illegal; it means wrapping up warm in the winter must not involve a scarf around your heard; it means dressing up as a clown or Ronald Mc Donald will become illegal; going in fancy dress as Morph will be illegal and so on.

Obviously, this is ridiculous.

So if you are not going to ban covering your face how can you justify banning one particular form of covering your face - one that just by coincidence will only affect people who just happen to follow a religion that originates from an area where people tend to have darker skin than us one, that as it happens, is not actually a problem security wise, but simply has the potential to be a problem. This is despite the fact that more crimes are committed by people with Burberry scarves around their mush than Muslim women. In fact, I cant recall the last time I saw a Muslim woman in the paper that had been done for anything certainly not for robbing a bank or whatever.

Someone in work said to me the other day that the Burkah was rude. Quite right, but if we are going to make being rude illegal, we need to start building more prisons PDQ.

Then of course there is the issue of the Burkah being oppressive. Can't argue with that one. But making it illegal is not the answer, there are far deeper cultural and educational issues that need to be addressed to solve that one. Some people have mentioned that it is not in the Koran. That it a bit irrelevant, there are lots of rituals carried out by the catholic church that are not in the bible. Both books are open to interpretation by different sects.

If wearing a face covering in the bank is a problem, let the bank introduce a rule to ban wearing a face covering in the bank. If that creates such a cultural affront to some people then the men will have to go to the bleedin' bank or let their women take off their veil. Passing laws against one particular type of religious clohting in general is over the top, unnecessary and discriminatory.

So what benefit will we have from banning the Burkah? Well, we will eliminate the problem of people robbing banks with Burkahs on (even though they are not doing it anyway), we will tie up the old bill and the courts with a petty crime (literally, fashion police), we will alienate large numbers of people with no good reason and probably contribute to the radicalisation of even more Muslims. Sounds like a lose lose situation to me."

Discuss..
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ban the Burkha?

Post by Euan on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 12:31 am

No, they shouldn't be banned. I'm not gonna start shouting racist at the people who want to ban it because I get that it's mostly for like security reasons. But I'd say people have the right to wear them.

On a side note, are balaclavas banned? I'm guessing not considering you can buy them well easy. And I own one that I bought this year [albeit for long distance walking in extreme conditions, not for robbing banks or blowing places up lol]
Euan
Take To The Skies

http://www.facebook.com/euankidd

Back to top Go down

Post by joebarnes on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 12:42 am

I have no problem with people wearing them to be honest.

I do think that they must be willing to take them off though when needing to show ID at an airport or something along those lines.

Im not quite decided if work places or schools should have the power to ask them to remove them, I am tilting towards them having to take them off if they dont comply with uniforms.

Then again we can reopen a free country debate.
joebarnes
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 6:00 am

Look, oi'm not racist roite, but wot if, roite, they cam intah ahhhh banks and fahkin nokin em off roite, we should just bahn fahkin uvreefin dat int wot oi agree wiv, yeh?
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by Jed on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 7:22 am

Malky wrote:Look, oi'm not racist roite, but wot if, roite, they cam intah ahhhh banks and fahkin nokin em off roite, we should just bahn fahkin uvreefin dat int wot oi agree wiv, yeh?

Hahaha, I wonder which chap you are impersonating here.. Razz

And I don't have any problem with them really, I do see them as a little bit rude.. but it's entirely their decision on what they want to wear. Obviously somewhere where EVERYBODY has to comply to the rules, they need to aswell. If somebody doesn't want to take it off, at a building site (not that women should be allowed on one anyway lololol jk) where a hard hat is required for example then they shouldn't be allowed access to it. But no I have generally not got a problem with people wearing whatever they want, just when they start trying to bend the rules, which to be fair is a rarity.

EDIT: Then again they're kinda forced to wear it.. but you get what I mean.

Last edited by Jed on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Jed

http://www.facebook.com/JedJedJed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 7:47 am

If you're never gonna leave the kitchen, why do you need to wear your burkha?

In all seriousness, I don't agree with banning the burkha. It's a cultural symbol and (like it or not, yer smelly bigots) the overwhelming majority of British people don't have a problem with people expressing their own culture. I'm sick of the old 'what if I want a bacon roll in Iran dou m8' argument too. We don't live in a country with such restraints, we should be proud to live in such a (relatively) open-minded society.

We have much much bigger domestic problems to focus on. Why are there so many people sat on their arses on the dole? Why do simple-minded cunts strut around in Sports Direct's finest Fila shell-suits pissing up walls and throwing rocks? Easy for media outlets (I'm looking at you, The Sun etc.) to start a witch-hunt geared towards foreign folk to distract from the fact we're a fucking shambles, in more ways than a few.

Last edited by JackGDS on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeMoshington on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 7:51 am

removed post by admin
GeorgeMoshington
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 2:31 am

The reason for the ban is because of how oppressive it, and islam in general is. No ifs buts or maybes. And I agree with te ban, its disgusting and insulting behaviour from a very sexist, bitter, paranoid, our way or the high way religion.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:02 am

What if someone wants to wear it?
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by warnerbro on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 9:51 am

kappa99 wrote:The reason for the ban is because of how oppressive it, and islam in general is. No ifs buts or maybes. And I agree with te ban, its disgusting and insulting behaviour from a very sexist, bitter, paranoid, our way or the high way religion.

Not the only religion to do that...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/15/vatican-declares-womens-ordination-grave-crime
warnerbro
Buzzer

http://www.facebook.com/warnerbro

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Sun 18 Jul 2010, 8:49 pm

Yeah, I disagree with the stance on female ordination (sometimes the catholic church is a bit backward) but its nowhere near as oppressive as islam. Theres a difference between saying "naw" to a woman priest and stoning a woman to death because she was alone in the same room as a man who isnt related to her or her husband.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doo on Sun 29 Aug 2010, 9:16 pm

GeorgeMoshington wrote:removed post by admin

Excellent haha
Doo
Sorry You're Not A Winner

http://www.facebook.com/bebomyspacetwitter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hect1c1 on Wed 16 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm

i think we should ban it because i accidentally tried to post a letter into a muslim womans face Razz
Hect1c1
Hybryd

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 2:58 am

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Talk about a low content post
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 3:54 am

Banning the burkha is hard to enforce. Why not just ban pakis? I mean, it doesn't matter if they're in silly rags or not, they're still definitely terrorists who are definitely up to no good. (Ever thought about why they're in OUR country? That's right. They're all murders, they believe in Halal and we're the spiritual enemy) If our "government" (paki sympathisers) represented us at all they'd listen to us and ban pakis by 2012.

It's pretty simple. Use a colour wheel to decide if the suspect is too brown (Casper white, weekend at Clacton-on-sea tan, 'ad it large in Ibiza for a week dark etc. etc. until PAKI BROWN). If the suspected minority is too brown, simply dispose of him. I know you're gonna say genocide is a bit too much but really...we need to keep Britain white, before we all start speaking jibberish and eating goats face.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 7:12 am

Fuck yeah! Get rid of all those Pak... oh wait.
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/absolutelucidity

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 11:45 am

Petition to have Uzman head up the petition to get rid of brown people.

MALKY MACLEOD

Add names as appropriate.
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum