Rape and "asking" for it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rape and "asking" for it?

Post by aprilMCC on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sjvgl5z28

Now I am in no way a feminist but this is something that has bothered me for a while. To say a woman, or anyone for that matter, is asking to be raped is wrong.

I can understand that dressing promiscuously and getting shittered probably isn't the best thing to do around sketchy people. Sure, it probably even increases your risk of getting raped.
However it does not excuse someone elses lack of self-control.

It's like saying a person who was eating chocolate infront of someone on a diet is to blame for sed person cheating on their diet.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by aprilMCC on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Re: Rape and "asking" for it?

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 9:32 pm

It's probably best for a woman to, y'know, agree before you chuck your dick in her. There should be a law wherein if she's not capable/willing to take off her own knickers, you don't do it (or something...that's probably quite hard to enforce ha)

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 1:52 pm

Agree'd.

It's just a sad attempt to blame someone else for your actions, if you ask me.
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:07 am

The whole "she was drunk and didnt say yes, so its rape" thing annoys me.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:14 am

kappa99 wrote:The whole "she was drunk and didnt say yes, so its rape" thing annoys me.
Bet you've had a few slap-wrists over doing that Kev Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:18 am

I wouldn't considered it rape but I'd say that's taking advantage of a situation. I mean, it's kind of hard to say that someone is in the right state of mind to be making those kinds of descisions when they're plastered.
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:23 am

I think it depends how 'sacred' (or whatever) the woman thinks sex is too. There's some bike in my college who openly chats about blowing/fucking dudes she barely knows every weekend, so I'm assuming she wouldn't mind getting plastered and having some willy to fondle, whether it's force on her or not.

However, if you're the opposite (aka a decent human being) you probably won't like the idea of getting sexually assaulted if you dare to get drunk around males. And that isn't right, if you've got dignity and genuinely just wanted a night out to get absolutely hammered without creeps coming on to you, you don't deserve men trying to legally (or ethically) hump you; never mention rape.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobbsy on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:39 am

Tactical Advantage.
Hobbsy
Administrator

http://www.facebook.com/JamesHobbs182

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:30 am

I see your point.

I don't know if I would consider that rape though. It seems to me her intentions would be to get drunk so she could have sex with a stranger. I'm sure if someone literally forced her into it (which would probably be pretty hard, by the sounds of her) it might change things.

As for the second part, I agree completely. Anyone should be able to get drunk and have a good time without having to worry about people sexually harassing them.

aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppins on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:42 am

The law in England and Wales does sort of have 'she was asking for it' built into it as a defence. Basically, if the accused rapist genuinely believes he had consent from the victim, he or she hasn't committed a crime in the eyes of the law. This pretty much lets you off the hook if you go home with a lad or lass that you think is a bit tipsy but definitely up for it, but who turns out afterwards to have been off their face and can't remember a thing.

The thing about that Youtube video is the description of the attack that the guy gives. All the extra crap he says around it, like how she was known as a party girl, and had been hospitalised previously, and was pretty drunk that night - all of that is irrelevant. The important facts there are that she was out late, walked home alone, and was followed into her home and attacked by someone who she didn't want to have sex with and to whom she had given no indication that she wanted or consented to sex. No one asks for that. That is basically tantamount to saying "Girls, there's bad men in the world, so don't go out late, don't go out by yourself, and don't have a few drinks. If you do all that and something bad happens to you, it's your fault," and that is bullshit, because it is blaming someone else's poor behaviour on your actions.

Now, the stomach pumps the girl had? She was asking for that by drinking too much. The broken arms and legs? She was asking for that for doing stupid crap. If she had slept with a bloke at the party and regretted it the next morning? She would have been asking for that. That wasn't what happened, though. Getting drunk at a party and leaving alone does not give anyone permission to follow you home and attack you.

Also...
aprilMCC wrote: Now I am in no way a feminist [...]
Feminism isn't just misandry and bra-burning. Not to get all preachy, but I would encourage anyone who says they aren't a feminist or who thinks feminists are all hairy legged ugly birds who hate men to have a quick read of this article: http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/yes-you-are/
Poppins
Return To Energiser

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:09 am

Poppins wrote:Also...
aprilMCC wrote: Now I am in no way a feminist [...]
Feminism isn't just misandry and bra-burning. Not to get all preachy, but I would encourage anyone who says they aren't a feminist or who thinks feminists are all hairy legged ugly birds who hate men to have a quick read of this article: http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/yes-you-are/
Interesting article. It was a poor choice of words on my part. I ment more along the lines of "I'm not usually one to speak up about these kind of issues".
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by will on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:36 pm

No girl ever asks to be raped. Guys are able to dress however they like, and as sexually appealing as they want and get away with it without a problem. But the second a girl tries to dress to impress they get labeled a slut or a whore. And that sickens me. A person, regardless of what gender they should be able to look the way they want and still feel safe. I say no to slut shaming. No to blaming the victim.

On the drunk and getting taken advantage issue. Personally, if I had any speculation that a girl was too drunk to make decisions for herself I would not make any advances. I have no other way to actually relate to this. But basically my feelings on this are that in a given environment, a man and a woman should be able to feel safe with their actions. Gender should not make a difference. It isn't fair for women that guys can go around and fuck whoever they want and not be ridiculed for it. But a girl sleeps with one guy at a party and she's labeled a slut. And again, that sickens me.
will
Buzzer

http://facebook.com/thisfrozenlandscape

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:12 pm

Bieber pls.

ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/absolutelucidity

Back to top Go down