London Riots

:: GENERAL FORUMS :: News

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: London Riots

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm

Uz and I were locked in my work on Sunday evening in Angel, Islington. We were told to stay there 'cause about 100 kids on bikes/mopeds with things over their faces had gathered in the market (literally 100yds from work).
Just as we were told it was safe to leave (the police/my boss were SUPER nice and organised for taxis to collect us all) and headed out the fire escape, three riot police were literally storming at us screaming GET FUCKING BACK IN haaa. The kids ended up just smashing some windows, police had been around the mall anticipating it for hours so they were well prepared, as were the stores (ours was emptied of all money etc.). Oh they broke some guys nose too by smacking him with something as they rode past on a moped.

Oh and Google Maps informs me that someone was beat up by some youths for his bike on Monday night....but that happens most nights anyway. These riots REALLY weren't as terrible as everyone was making out. In France they do this shit most bank holidays. We have a tabloid culture, we like to pretend everything is 'bigger' than it actually is (and a lot of folk thought this was like massive global news 'cause it's in London...England really isn't that important anymore though). It was still dreadful, but those burning buses etc. were isolated events in areas that've been deprived for ages. 98% of London was still perfectly fine...unless you read the Sun/Mail, in which case London was worse than during the Blitz.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

agua wrote:based off of the interviews, it is mainly teenage youths? what's the deal, are a majority of kids notbeing raised right over there?
Most of us aren't raised right!

The original riots in Tottenham and North London stemmed from the shooting of a bloke called Mark Duggan by the Police (who they did shoot wrongly - he hadn't fired. He'd surrendered but they still took him from the car and shot him dead anyway. He was carrying a firearm though, which is a massive offence over here). People converged on the local police station to protest - which turned to rioting. Suddenly all hell broke loose and people were looting places and burning things. This spawned 'copycat' riots the next evening all over London. Just tons of misdirected anger and violence. Most kids were involved purely a) 'cause they wanted some free shit or b) they're absolute pieces of spunk. Or both.

There are tons of reasons why I think it was allowed to happen so easily and why the kids involved are in a state-of-mind that makes them like this - but I can't be bothered. It's far too early over here.

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieM on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

Drove past Dirty South in Lewisham today which got smashed up. Good little venue.
On saturday we shut an hour early after my manager saw 40 kids milling about outside. Even the night crew went home which never happens haha.
Like Jack said though, it's not as terrible as people make out. Walking through Catford and Lewisham yesterday was a walk in the park except with a few smashed windows..
SophieM
The Lions Are At The Door

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodson on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm

How has noone parodied this yet?

Dodson
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jack.f.tait

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:55 am

SophieM wrote:Drove past Dirty South in Lewisham today which got smashed up. Good little venue.

N'aww not Dirty South Sad Used to go there a lot. The only decent place that let me in when I was 16 ahaa.

Eltham's on the news and idk why. It was weird today being in the high street with shite loads of police men... Think they're anticipating trouble between people rather than looting and rioters. Nothing's happening now. Hardly breaking news Sky. People have realised they can get away with it, so they're doing it. Boy on the news earlier only got a £100 fine for looting - and then was just let free without paying because they had too many people to deal with. Great message to send out.
Niamh
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/NiamhF

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennie on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:55 am

I work in Birmingham and it happened to be revolved around my road. So all the shops have no glass or are boarded right up. Annoying because I haven't been able to go out on lunch and get a drink etc - there's nowhere in my local roads to go! We got evacuated on Tuesday and Wednesday. And today I had to drive through Handsworth (their police station got burnt) to get to West Brom - it wasn't so bad there to be honest. The police were using the top floor of our building as a 'surveillance centre' across the town.

Terrible what happened in Winson Green. I am overwhelmed to see how many people have been involved with the clean up not just of Birmingham - but all over the country and all the community spirit.
Praying this does not spark up again.
Jennie
Zzzonked

http://www.facebook.com/JennieGardner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodson on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm

Dodson
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jack.f.tait

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Dodson wrote:

I see the London Riots have given this seagull a boost in fame again.
Pete
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.myspace.com/wewerefriendsuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top