Monthly paintings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Monthly paintings

Post by aprilMCC on Sun 06 May 2012, 3:38 am

So me and a friend have decided to do monthly paintings as a way to relax and unwind. While I feel very self-conscious about my paintings because they're not professional and purely for shits, I wanted to post them somewhere. So I figured here would be the best place seeing as there are too many people on facebook and tumblr. Uhhh yeah... So I'ma post them here as they're made.

Here's the one I did in March; It's my sisters Guinea Pig.

This is the one I did yesterday; Harry Styles (Please, no comments on my choice. The picture I based it off of was a really cool picture and I liked the colours.)

Also, if anyone has an suggestions/critique, you're more then welcome to post it!
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly paintings

Post by Poppins on Sun 06 May 2012, 12:09 pm

Man, I like these. The colours and contrasts put me in mind of Art Deco era ads, with a bit of impressionism and modernism thrown in too.
I do like the guinea pig picture slightly better, for a number of reasons - I like both the colours and the subject matter more, and the pose reminds me of a painting that one of my friends did of another one, which I love.
The Harry Styles painting is good too, but as a (totally not professional) critique, I would suggest that you didn't need to use such a dark colour for the detailing around the shirt and eyes. The colours of the main shirt, face and background are so distinct that you don't need such a clear delianation between them. You've used a dark blue in the bottom right corner that would have been perfect for the rest of the detail on the shirt, and using a darker shade of the brown you used for the hair might have worked well around the eyes.
The shading around the legs and hands of the guinea pig painting and around the nose and lips of Harry Styles is absolutely spot on. The more blocky use of colour in the body of the guinea pig and in the shirt is also brilliant, as it conveys exactly the shape you want it to without adding unnecessary detail.
Drunk Poppins critique out - tldr is that I like this and am eager to see what you do next.
Poppins
Return To Energiser

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Sun 06 May 2012, 1:29 pm

Oh dear April. Art is awesome but Harry? Haha
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/absolutelucidity

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Sun 06 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Poppins wrote:Man, I like these. The colours and contrasts put me in mind of Art Deco era ads, with a bit of impressionism and modernism thrown in too.
I do like the guinea pig picture slightly better, for a number of reasons - I like both the colours and the subject matter more, and the pose reminds me of a painting that one of my friends did of another one, which I love.
The Harry Styles painting is good too, but as a (totally not professional) critique, I would suggest that you didn't need to use such a dark colour for the detailing around the shirt and eyes. The colours of the main shirt, face and background are so distinct that you don't need such a clear delianation between them. You've used a dark blue in the bottom right corner that would have been perfect for the rest of the detail on the shirt, and using a darker shade of the brown you used for the hair might have worked well around the eyes.
The shading around the legs and hands of the guinea pig painting and around the nose and lips of Harry Styles is absolutely spot on. The more blocky use of colour in the body of the guinea pig and in the shirt is also brilliant, as it conveys exactly the shape you want it to without adding unnecessary detail.
Drunk Poppins critique out - tldr is that I like this and am eager to see what you do next.
Wow, haha. Didn't think anyone would write anything that detailed!
I agree whole heartedly with what you said about the second painting though. To be honest, I had really wanted to get the shirt right, so I ended up painting over it about four times before I got completely fed up with it and just decided to do a really basic black outline. It had started to stress me out more then relax me, which is when I decided it wasn't worth it. As for the eye, I hadn't really thought of that. I kinda wanted the contrast just because it was something that really caught my attention in the picture. Though I can see where you're coming from. I quite like the way the hair turned out though, it was quite fun to do haha!
As for the guinea pig one, my sister really liked it too. I'm glad it turned out the way it did! I feel I should have put a bit more detail into the eye though, but hey!
Thanks for the feedback! Smile

ChumbaWumba wrote:Oh dear April. Art is awesome but Harry? Haha
D; I know. I think I should be thrown in the pits of Tartarus for it. I had to get it out of my system though, bro. It needed to be done. Now I feel I can move on from that and do other things, ya know?
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by will on Sun 06 May 2012, 7:41 pm

honestly, i think the 2nd one is awesome. i didn't know who he was until i googled the name haha. i thought it was a portrait of a girl at first (that's not offending your art, he looks very girly in real photos too). but i like it because it's weird. sure the colors might not fit perfectly, but who says it has to! so yes it's weird, but great as well. keep posting your art here please! :)
will
Buzzer

http://facebook.com/thisfrozenlandscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess on Mon 07 May 2012, 1:50 am

i don't see the impressionism link poppins, and modernism is quite a broad subject to compare 2 paintings to don't you think? but i definitely see the art deco links

i like these paintings april, nice work! i like the second one best. the grey/blue against the yellow works well.
reminds me of julian opie's work/pop art in general. keep it up Smile
Jess
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jessmelling

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilMCC on Mon 07 May 2012, 3:39 am

will wrote:honestly, i think the 2nd one is awesome. i didn't know who he was until i googled the name haha. i thought it was a portrait of a girl at first (that's not offending your art, he looks very girly in real photos too). but i like it because it's weird. sure the colors might not fit perfectly, but who says it has to! so yes it's weird, but great as well. keep posting your art here please! Smile
Haha no worries! I agree, it does look very feminine. My sister and father both said the same. Thanks a lot, and I definitely will! Smile

Jess wrote:i don't see the impressionism link poppins, and modernism is quite a broad subject to compare 2 paintings to don't you think? but i definitely see the art deco links

i like these paintings april, nice work! i like the second one best. the grey/blue against the yellow works well.
reminds me of julian opie's work/pop art in general. keep it up Smile
Thanks so much! Yeah I wasn't sure what colour to do the background at first then it just felt like yellow fit. Smile
aprilMCC
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum