Do you believe in God?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you believe in God?

Post by kappa99 on Sat 27 Feb 2010, 11:35 pm

100 yewars ago, EVERYONE on here would say yes. (Well, if teh interwebz existed) Nowadays, many seem to believe and not practice their faith, many do not believe at all, while relativly few believe and practice.

Many people who would be considered "Christian" or "Atheist" seem happy to poke fun at Christianity but would not think of doing so to other religions.

Whats your take on God, religion and all that nonsense?

Any bigoted/sectarian nonsense will be removed.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ChumbaWumba on Sat 27 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm

I personally don't believe in God but i'm definitely open to all views from all religions. If the big man does chose to show his face I will be happy to worship him but until then i'm just gonna be a spiritualist.
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/absolutelucidity

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:01 am

Of course, his name is Michael Chopra.
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophiee on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:14 am

I don't believe in religion at all really.
I'm an atheist, but I don't really mind religion, as long as it's not shoved down my throat.
Sophiee
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.myspace.com/airguitarsuperstar92

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:37 am

I don't believe in God. I believe in fate, ha.
I think stuff happens for a reason.
I went to a catholic primary and secondary school up till the age for 14, and the stories we were told about 'God' etc just sounded like so much crap.
Jess
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jessmelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nia on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 4:34 am

Elemental wrote:Of course, his name is Michael Chopra.

pleeeease don't get me started Razz
Nia
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by apap3rplat3 on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 6:33 am

I do not. Religions were originally created to explain how the universe was created and why certain things happened because they didn't have the science to explain it. Now that our science is getting to the point where it can explain most of said things with proof, I don't see why religion is still around honestly. My take is people follow religions because most can't accept the fact that there's no reason to life other than what you make it. There's no afterlife, this is it. There's no one watching out for you. People don't want to accept this, so they go against their better judgement and they have a "willful suspension of disbelief" (as a side note, great Modest Mouse song) because well, it makes them happy. It makes people happy thinking that there is something after this life. Now this isn't the only reason, but I believe it to be a big one. I'm open to all views because it's just stupid to not listen to other ideas, but I'll always go with ideas that have solid proof over ideas that don't.

Last edited by apap3rplat3 on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
apap3rplat3
Buzzer

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1413049329&

Back to top Go down

Post by julyweezer on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 7:49 am

I do believe in God. I don't know if its to do with the fact that I was raised as a Catholic, going to Catholic school up till the age of 18. My family aren't really that religious, I haven't been to mass for a very long time, and my Dad isn't a fan, but I definitely think its me and my Mum that do have some kind of faith. I do think that people would jump to conclusions about me if I described myself as a Catholic, but I drink (a lot) and I'm not against pre-marital sex, homosexuality, stuff like that. I think that I'm more spiritual than religious. I think the reason that so many people believe in a religioin is because they need something to believe in. Like if this is all there is, whats the point? There must be something afterwards! And like some people say they don't want religion shoved down their throat, I would say I don't like people telling me I'm wrong and that I shouldn't believe it. I think everyone should believe in what they want as long as it doesn't hurt others.
julyweezer
Return To Energiser

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeyC on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:06 pm

I'm a bit of a Nihilist, I don't believe in anything and never have, like, what's wrong with us just existing, why does there need to be a meaning for us being here? When I started going to Primary School we had to do prayers in assembly and all that jazz and I never got it, why was I supposed to just believe in God and be a Christian? I've always questioned it, personally, and this is just my opinion remember, I find it all a bit nuts. I don't want there to be anything after I die, mostly cause I'd get bored, eternity's a long ass time.
When people say they have a relationship with God, Allah, whoever, that he speaks to them etc., to me they might as well be saying Optimus Prime (now he'd be an awesome god), it's the kind of thing I imagine hearing walking through a mental hospital. Plus there's the whole 'if there is a god why is there so much terrible shit in the world' thing.
And there are so many religions, so who's to say which one, if any, has got it right?
What about the Pagan religions that existed before the ones that are practised now, are they just invalid now because people forced these newer ones upon them?
I do think people are entitled to their beliefs though, even if I think they sound crazy, if it comforts them to think there's something after death, that there's a reason for us being then let them, it's not harming anyone else. Except Scientology, cause they really do harm people.
MikeyC
Return To Energiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:18 pm

Although I don't follow a religion too much, I think it can be a great thing. Sorta like how more kids today are vegetarian because of Oliver Sykes. I think he's a dick, but I sorta appreciate what he has done, intentional or not. If people can abide by the simple rules taught and do more positives things, that can only be good right? maybe not. I wish god would make it rain less also, and that if it has to rain, its Dr. Pepper.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 12:25 pm

JackGDS wrote: if it has to rain, its Dr. Pepper.

Sugar free please. Although tasty it would be pretty sticky when that stuff dries aha.
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 3:18 pm

Having just been soaked in Dr Pepper Zero or whatever the diet version is, I can say its sticky as fuck!
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 12:22 am

I can see where a lot of people are coming from.
I myself am a practicing Catholic, but a lot of the religions foundation needs updating. When religion formed, it was the law makers of that period, whereas today we have government(ha!), the police and courts etc to form rules and regulations.

I believe in God and in Jesus, I think a lot of the new Testament, and a good bulk of the old, is symbolical stories rather than word for word truth.as for Science, alot of the "discoveries" science makes is disproved 5,10,15 years down the line.

Im not one for believing things without eyewitness accounts, rather than assumptions and formulas. To me, the fact that 4 guys saw a man nailed to a cross and wrote about it is better prove than any scientific theory.

For the creationism side of things, I believe a mix of science and God. It took someone special to create a world, an environment and a body such as a humans (or any other living thing for that matter), but it peobably took them a lot of scientific knowledge and power to do it.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by apap3rplat3 on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 9:53 am

kappa99 wrote:I can see where a lot of people are coming from.
I myself am a practicing Catholic, but a lot of the religions foundation needs updating. When religion formed, it was the law makers of that period, whereas today we have government(ha!), the police and courts etc to form rules and regulations.

I believe in God and in Jesus, I think a lot of the new Testament, and a good bulk of the old, is symbolical stories rather than word for word truth.as for Science, alot of the "discoveries" science makes is disproved 5,10,15 years down the line.

Im not one for believing things without eyewitness accounts, rather than assumptions and formulas. To me, the fact that 4 guys saw a man nailed to a cross and wrote about it is better prove than any scientific theory.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't quite understand something: when you refer to scientific discoveries being disproved, I think that's a bit off. It's more like the discovery allows for a certain inference to be made using scientific reasoning, but of course that's just an inference. Later on there might be another discovery that can better lead towards the direction of solid truth and less "assumptions" you see? I just don't get the whole "scientific discoveries being disproved" if you catch me. It's like the history of the atom for example. People believed that the atom was the smallest particle around (after several discoveries etc.), until the discovery of the three major sub-atomic particles (neutron, proton, and electron). Then people assumed that they were the three smallest (well technically the electron has the smallest mass but you see what I'm getting at). It's not that there was any law or well-accepted theory that stated this, but it was rather the smallest that they knew of currently so they [incorrectly] made an assumption. Now we know that there are infact 12 elementary particles that make all that jazz up, yet most scientists won't say that they are the smallest, because we don't know that. My main point is that true science isn't disproved. Theories and beliefs can be, but that's the scientists fallacy for being wrong. I don't know if that makes any sense ha.

And what if all those four accounts were forged? Or were infact untrue? The thing that appeals to me about science is that nothing is accepted without testable qualities or consequences that can be replicated by thousands of people all over the globe. And that's just to become a proper theory.

It just seems that with proper science, there's more certainty and replicable proof.
apap3rplat3
Buzzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 2:11 pm

I'm a see it to believe it kinda girl. I can't go on beliefs alone.
Was brought up a Catholic (like most Irish babies), and went to church every week until I was 13... but then I chose not to make my confirmation (only person in my year...) as I didn't see the point when every week I'd go to 6pm mass and sit there being pissed off I was missing brand new Simpsons on Sky1 or laughing when the hymn was a Boyzone cover.
Maybe under different circumstances, I'd find my faith... for example, my mum rediscovered hers after my grandad died. I think to many it'a comfort. Death is a fear for many people, and the thought that once we're dead everything that exists to us is gone is scary for many people. But there's so much shit going on in the world I'm quite cynical that a loving God would allow his creations to suffer so much. From doing philosophy at school, I argue about God's existence every day... and I have yet to find a reasonable argument suggesting he exists.

If somebody can sway me, congratulations.
Niamh
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/NiamhF

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 8:11 pm

Niamh wrote:I'm a see it to believe it kinda girl. I can't go on beliefs alone.
Was brought up a Catholic (like most Irish babies), and went to church every week until I was 13... but then I chose not to make my confirmation (only person in my year...) as I didn't see the point when every week I'd go to 6pm mass and sit there being pissed off I was missing brand new Simpsons on Sky1 or laughing when the hymn was a Boyzone cover.
Maybe under different circumstances, I'd find my faith... for example, my mum rediscovered hers after my grandad died. I think to many it'a comfort. Death is a fear for many people, and the thought that once we're dead everything that exists to us is gone is scary for many people. But there's so much shit going on in the world I'm quite cynical that a loving God would allow his creations to suffer so much. From doing philosophy at school, I argue about God's existence every day... and I have yet to find a reasonable argument suggesting he exists.

If somebody can sway me, congratulations.

That's pretty much how I see it too. And more eloquentlyut than I would've said it aswell.
Martin
A Flash Flood Of Colour

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm

kappa99 wrote:Do you believe in God?
No.
Scott
The Lions Are At The Door

http://www.haioko.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennie on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 6:42 am

I do believe in god. I'm Christian. And it pisses me off when self centered little know it alls get sarcastic about believes.

Fuck it, deleted the rest, didn't wanna say it.
Jennie
Zzzonked

http://www.facebook.com/JennieGardner

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 7:47 am

This is a debate thread, Jennie so you have every right to express your opinions.
Scott
The Lions Are At The Door

http://www.haioko.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennie on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 8:27 am

Nahhhh i just said what i thought ^ didnt need the sob story at the end pah! Smile
Jennie
Zzzonked

http://www.facebook.com/JennieGardner

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeLee on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 8:38 am

but what happens when your dead? It cant just be all black, because you will have some sort of idea of whats going on to know 'its all black'. Answers on a postcard please.
LeeLee
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 8:44 am

LeeLee wrote:but what happens when your dead? It cant just be all black, because you will have some sort of idea of whats going on to know 'its all black'. Answers on a postcard please.

That's what i've been thinking all my life! The only thing that stops me from saying 'There is no God' is that. I think it's great to have something to believe in, it helps people through the toughest of times but personally it's never helped me :/
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

Back to top Go down

Post by Jed on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 8:45 am

It can be just all black. We don't know. That's why religion is something that isn't neccesarily right or wrong. I personally don't believe in God. I just believe we're here because we are. Some people like to think their is a reason for our existance. That's fine by me, although I don't like people ramming it down my throat (nor do I like athiests ramming it down thiests throats). I don't think any religion however should be funded by our taxes...
Jed

http://www.facebook.com/JedJedJed

Back to top Go down

Post by StandYourGround on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:25 am

Jennie wrote:I do believe in god. I'm Christian. And it pisses me off when self centered little know it alls get sarcastic about believes.

Fuck it, deleted the rest, didn't wanna say it.

I was going to say something similar to this but I was worried Laughing thanks Jennie.

And I would probably have deleted anything else I would have wanted to say too
StandYourGround
We Can Breathe In Space

http://www.last.fm/user/LD7

Back to top Go down

Post by apap3rplat3 on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 11:52 am

I like to think of it like a great slumber. Would be fucking sweet if you could switch on and off awareness....although it might be tricky switching from off to on ha.

I get in religious debates with my dad all the time. When I ask him about Islam, he always replies "I don't need to know about that because it's wrong." - Thank you for proving my point that religion promotes ignorance father.
apap3rplat3
Buzzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum