Do you believe in God?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by apap3rplat3 on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 9:23 am

kappa99 wrote:Europe.
We'll I meant like were they smokers/drug addicts/fast food abusers/more healthy people/what? Statistics can be very misleading if you don't look at all of the story.
apap3rplat3
Buzzer

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1413049329&

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 9:31 am

Does God believe in you?
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Sat 10 Apr 2010, 11:25 pm

apap3rplat3 wrote:
kappa99 wrote:Europe.
We'll I meant like were they smokers/drug addicts/fast food abusers/more healthy people/what? Statistics can be very misleading if you don't look at all of the story.

They took a balanced sample of people over a variety of incomes, lifestyle, nationality etc.

And 5 a day was promoted as a way of extending life, staving off heart disease and cancer etc etc.

To me, all you need to do is eat sensibly, (ie not oo much) have a varied diet, dont overdo anything, and get a good amount of ecercise. The fact I choose to abuse alcohol is my own doing and Im hoping by the time I destroy my liver (er, 2012?) we'l have found a way of growing organs on trees.
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandpa Clivey on Sun 11 Apr 2010, 10:01 am

I have to have yet another blood test later this month. Fortunately my liver is not the problem. It'sa fasting blood test so no food or drink from 9pm the night before until after it - at 12.25pm.

(Strayed somewhat from God.)
Grandpa Clivey
Take To The Skies

Back to top Go down

Post by beth on Sun 11 Apr 2010, 10:46 am

Elemental wrote:Does God believe in you?
only in soviet russia...
beth
Buzzer

http://www.facebook.com/Bethhhy

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Sun 11 Apr 2010, 1:01 pm

Except in Soviet Russia, atheism was the official way to go unless you wanted to be shifted to Siberia.
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 6:50 am

This is disgusting and one of many many many reasons religion has no place in our modern, progressive society.

Some elements of religion are brilliant. I don't believe in god or have any religious beliefs for that matter but I like that they all outline a good set of morals to live your life by.
That said I believe for the most part it's a horrible tool we've allowed to divide us and create factions for a nasty clash of civilizations. We've seen this in WWII, the ongoing fighting in the Middle-East and all of the Holy Wars. Shit like that article suggests we're building up for another nasty clash - based, fundamentally, on our differences defined by religion.

I fully expect someone to spout bull about how this act is justified 'cause of what the 'muslims' (y'know...not a terrorist organisation) did on 9/11. Any right-wingers out there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 6:55 am

Elemental wrote:Also what is the cutoff point between religion and mythology. What makes the stories of christianity any more plausable than those of the greeks or egyptians?
Nail on head.

Back to top Go down

Post by joebarnes on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 6:55 am

Not one so bit, similar to Jack I don't think most parts of it should be included in a modern way of life. It may help a lot of people but im sure it causes a hell of a lot more suffering to the world.
joebarnes
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nia on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 9:33 am

Jack* wrote: Some elements of religion are brilliant. I don't believe in god or have any religious beliefs for that matter but I like that they all outline a good set of morals to live your life by.

Sorry to go off the point you were making but I like this. Kinda like Pascal's Wager.. in a way.
Nia
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandpa Clivey on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 11:09 am

Without wanting to sound patronising I think people tend to be against God, or Jesus, or the prophet Mohammed because of man's interpreation as expressed by formal religious groups.

I call myself a Christian because I try to follow Christian values - the main one being to love my neighbour, and as the parable of the good Samaritan shows everyone is our neighbour include those who hate us. Loving your enemy is by no means easy. Loving bigots and racists is not easy. You love the person, not what they stand for, and try by reason to change their views.

Some religious groups, such as the so called Westboro Baptist Church in the US who are against gays, and the Dove Outreach Centre (also American) who say they're going to burn the Koran don't appear to understand the first principle of Christianity - that of love.

I know of many people who say they only believe in what they can see, yet no one can see the wind, but I suspect they believe that there is wind, because they can see the effects of it, just as many can see the positive effects of Christianity.

The god I believe in is not "out there" but is within me. I believe that "heaven" and "hell" are states of being during one's physical life depending on one's actions.
Grandpa Clivey
Take To The Skies

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodson on Thu 04 Nov 2010, 9:02 am

I do believe and god and do consider myself to be a christian however this doesn't mean neccesarily that some scientific theories are untrue...

I don't honestly think that the world was created in literally 7 days, however this could have been written as a scale for the time in which the world developed, I think that people in BC time would have found it hard to grasp the age of the planet and as a result it may have been written in laymans terms so they understood that humans essentially were one of the last creatures developed, which is the same basic theory as evolution...

I do believe in God and Jesus but as a pupil studying science at school I don't see why theories have to disprove religion and religion has to disprove theories, I can't see why they can't be put together to be able to piece together the mystery of our creation Smile
Dodson
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jack.f.tait

Back to top Go down

Post by Nia on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:46 am

Religion - I'm sorry to say - fucked me up this evening.
I went to my Mum's pentecostal church as there was a "Christmas Celebration" which I underestimated completely, thinking it'd be a few nice carols, the usual.
But they had this young-ish preacher who at first seemed lovely, the music was lovely, the songs were lovely, but nearing the end I started getting uncomfortable. I used to be a regular evangelical church go-er back when I was about 10/11 and until I was about 14 I went to a methodist church, (now I'm agnostic, more towards atheist) so I was confused as to why I felt a little off.
The preacher who was a little radical started getting really passionate, calling whoever hadn't been "found by the lord" or "hadn't seen the light" to raise their hands and come forward as he didn't want people leaving without knowing that Jesus could and had saved them. Strangely, the pressure was overwhelming. He said that Jesus was the only one who could "cure your broken hearts and all the hurts in your life, as there ARE PEOPLE IN THIS ROOM WHO HAVE LIVES OF STORMS". All I could be thankful for is the fact that it was nearing the end. As soon as it finished I had to get out of there thinking I'd get all emotional cause I was so messed up - I felt like they were playing on my weaknesses, unintentionally of course as they know no different. I tried to man up and go back in, but my Mum wanted to stay for this cafe thing and as it was my "first time", I could get free food with a little welcome pack. But I got all freaked out by this too for some reason. I got my Mum's carkeys and went to the car and just cried - it was so so weird - and basically didn't speak to my Mum until about two hours later where I felt she couldn't take me seriously because what I was saying sounded so ridiculous, plus I felt rotten for basically rejecting the church's hospitality and dragging my mum away. I spoke to my Dad and he said he used to feel exactly the same when he occasionally went.

I've just finished talking to my Ma again and things are okay, I guess I just completely underestimated it all. Weirdest feeling in the world. Life story over hahaha, sorry.
Nia
Jonny Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post by will on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

I personally do not believe in god, as in religion god. I do consider myself an atheist, but I kind of do believe that there is something within you. Not really a god maybe, but something maybe like a spirit or like a fire within you that keeps you striving on I guess? I don't denounce religion though, at least not unless we're in some deep debate about it. I absolutely won't try to offend someone though, just state my own beliefs if the topic comes up. I feel that everyone is free to believe whatever they want, whether it's mainstream religion, your own personal idea, or nothing. I mean, it is a belief right? It's all up to yourself.
will
Buzzer

http://facebook.com/thisfrozenlandscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:56 am

Religion is built out of fear. People want to believe there's something after death to make them feel better about it, and the people running it want to keep the people fearing fucking everything. After 3 years of doing Philosophy of Religion I can safely say I think it's all pish. Religion causes so many conflicts and hatred towards something that is different. Religion you bully.

Niamh
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/NiamhF

Back to top Go down

Post by blissof89 on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:01 am

Niamh wrote:Religion is built out of fear. People want to believe there's something after death to make them feel better about it, and the people running it want to keep the people fearing fucking everything. After 3 years of doing Philosophy of Religion I can safely say I think it's all pish. Religion causes so many conflicts and hatred towards something that is different. Religion you bully.

Exactly!

Religion is for people who NEED something to believe in.
blissof89
Step Up

http://www.facebook.com/blissof89

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

Religion definitely does a lot more harm than good. Anybody who tries to tell you different is a liar or insane. Or a Tory. Or all of those things.

Off the top of my head, religion is effectively upholding these problems:

- Awful Women's rights in the middle-east. (I know some of it is cultural, but let's not pardon the books/scripts these deeply harmful 'customs' were derived from)
- Routine bodily mutilation in Africa. (See above)
- Palestine vs. Israel
- Bulgaria

- Homophobia. 'Gay' isn't a cuss word and, thanks to the Bible/Qur'an (amongst other things admittedly), homosexuals have been oppressed for years and year. Oscar Wilde etc etc. Homosexuality is as legitimate as any other kind of love, in my opinion. And if God made man and all that...well, gay blokes are men. Maybe God wanted to make loadsa gays! OR BETTER STILL, maybe God isn't real and those people are just humans with impulses that are different to say mine. Insane, I know.

- Holding back science
- Limiting the number of languages

- The spread of HIV/AIDs (possibly the most disgusting part. Catholics should hang their heads constantly in shame for bolstering an institution that effectively has millions of peoples' blood on their hands)

An interesting read for you all. Sam Hunttington's 'Clash of Civilisations' (I think it's called that). Eerily, it forecasted the ideological conflict we're seeing in the Middle-East (vs. the West). It's got loads of twoddle in it too, don't get me wrong, but tons of stuff worth reading about.

I could go on for ages but I shan't. Everyone is entitled to their own views. Even I'm a very spiritual person and I think about this sorta stuff loads and loads. I want to believe in shit like an afterlife, but logic overrides fantasy with me. Every time.
Unlike most Atheists though I don't support the whole 'make people drop religion' thing and constantly bad-mouth it (although I kinda have tonight; apologies). I think religion COULD be great. They all need serious reform though (I know reforming a sacred document kinda undermines the whole thing for a lot of people too though).

If we had the ten commandments, for example, but without the absolute nonsense that goes with it. Or a massive sign above every page reading 'WARNING: THESE STORIES AREN'T ACTUALLY REAL. BY ALL MEANS READ THEM AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE LESSON IT TEACHES, BUT DON'T EVER BE A TWAT AND QUOTE THIS AS FACT'. Oh and 'TWO MEN LAYING NEXT TO EACHOTHER IS TOTALLY OK. GOD DOESN'T MIND. DON'T THROW STONES AT GAY COUPLES'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

Shinfo wrote: The spread of HIV/AIDs (possibly the most disgusting part. Catholics should hang their heads constantly in shame for bolstering an institution that effectively has millions of peoples' blood on their hands)

When I was in year 8 or 9 my school didn't acknowledge Red Nose Day because, as my RS teacher at the time said, they provided condoms to people in Third World Countries. Fair enough, not all religious people are as hardcore as others and following religion may give them good beliefs to follow in their life and make them a good person - but FUCK did that upset me. I was never really into religion (I was brought up Roman Catholic) but that pushed me over the edge. Sickening.
Niamh
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/NiamhF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum