Downloading, immoral theft or a right?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downloading, immoral theft or a right?

Post by Euan on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 1:40 pm

I've always downloaded illegally and still do. Anything I feel I'll buy some time, I keep; anything I don't think I'll buy I delete.
I'm skint a lot of the time but I always aim to buy stuff that I've downloaded.

I've paid for a download only a few times, purely because it was download only. Unless it's download only I'm not paying for a download; I want a hard copy if I'm gonna pay money for it. If vinyl I buy doesn't come with a download I generally download it illegally but I see that as justifiable.

Funny thing is, I've viewed things like this for years but never on moral grounds. It's 90% just cause I enjoy having something I can see and hold, being able to read the sleeve notes while listening to the music, something i can properly absorb myself in, something that's not gonna disappear if a harddrive fails.
Euan
Take To The Skies

http://www.facebook.com/euankidd

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 7:52 pm

Downloading music is wrong. So is skipping on the train fare, but people do it and I'm fine with that so long as they don't piss around pretending it's their right or it's actually a good thing. Man up and accept what you're doing is wrong.

You don't go into a restaurant and go "excuse me sir, I don't believe you deserve payment for your meal, I was just trying it out discovering new food". Making music, for the most part, isn't free. The instruments and studio time isn't free, the equipment producers use isn't free, mastering isn't free, having vinyl or CDs pressed isn't free.

As for the "why should I buy music when I go to their gigs" argument, the only people that is helping is Livenation or Ticketmaster. As the income from one revenue stream decreases, artists need to get as much out of another e.g increased ticket prices or more live shows meaning less time to create new music.

Spotify is the biggest joke in the music industry. When you get paid £0.0012 per play (meaning you'd need around 5 million plays a month to scrape minimum wage for the artist) you start to realise maybe it isn't the great saviour of the music industry.

I don't judge anyone that downloads music (hell I spent many years doing it, I'm just lucky to be in a position where the majority of tracks I want get sent to me anyway), but fuck off trying to take a moral high ground with it.

P.S Kev, EMI's apparent demise has little to do with music sales. As a music company it's pretty good, as a business it's poorly run and though Guy Hands may like us all to think he's just a victim of the digital age, really he's just a simple fool who got fucked over by financial advisors spinning him lies to encourage him to bid and invest more than what was necessary for the company.
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by Elemental on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 7:55 pm

Oh, on another note. Does nobody miss the days of going in to a Virgin Megastore, seeing the CD you or your friend wants is on a 3 for 15 deal so listening to and picking random CDs to go with the deal? I found so many great bands and artists from that. That was a good time for music.
Elemental
Come Join The Feast

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieM on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm

I loved virgin megastores mann. Going down bromley every other week or so and getting a bunch of cd's.
SophieM
The Lions Are At The Door

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 10:25 pm

SophieM wrote:I loved virgin megastores mann
Thrided. Such a shame it went bust. HMV are a joke; they rarely have the music I want when I look for it (which, admittedly, is once in a blue moon) and their prices are just stupid. I sat on my copy of Crisis by AoF so I went to replace it last week, clowns wanted £14!

Back to top Go down

Post by Euan on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 1:28 am

Always hated both of em tbh. Fopp's the only chain music store I like.
Euan
Take To The Skies

http://www.facebook.com/euankidd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 2:04 am

Hmv are a joke. I wanted to buy rushmore on DVD, I went to the store and it was £7... £3 on amazon. Their movies are mostly way over priced. I only ever go in there now if I get a gift card.
Jess
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/jessmelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top