South Park Censored

:: GENERAL FORUMS :: News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Park Censored

Post by kappa99 on Fri 23 Apr 2010, 10:46 pm

This is disgraceful, given all the episodes about jews, christians etc that are allowed (and are funny!). Why are we pandering to a group of people who spout hatred about Jews (and want to wipe them out) every week at their Mosques?

I remember the last people who wanted to wipe out the Jews and it took two world wars for people to listen..

They have depicted the Queen blowing her brains out after a failed attempt by the British army to reinvade America, Saddam Hussein as Satan's gay lover, and Jesus as a trigger-happy superhero. Mormons, Scientologists, Catholics, Jews, politicians and film stars have all been skewered on the razor-sharp wit of South Park.

Now the caustic animated satire appears to have reached its limits within the confines of mainstream US television. Fans and pundits alike were taken aback last night when an episode featuring the prophet Muhammad purportedly dressed in a bear costume had bleeps and "Censored" blocks slapped liberally throughout to remove all audio and visual reference to the prophet.

The censorship followed a warning from a New York-based group of extremist Muslim converts that could be construed as a death threat. The group, through its website Revolutionmuslim.com, had reacted to last week's episode of South Park which first depicted Muhammad dressed as a bear by saying its originators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, "will probably wind up like Theo van Gogh".

To underline the point, the website carried a picture of Van Gogh, the Dutch film-maker killed in 2004 after he made a documentary on the abuse of women in Muslim countries, with his throat cut and a knife in his chest. They also listed the New York headquarters of Comedy Central, the cable television channel that broadcasts the show, and South Park's production company, adding: "You can pay them a visit at these addresses."

In the aftermath of the show's censorship, the chatrooms on South Park's website hummed with the indignation of its fans. "Do you seriously think that will appease the extremists from more terrorism?" one wrote.

As controversy raged, Comedy Central confessed that it was responsible for the cuts. "I can't go into the thinking behind it, but I can confirm it was Comedy Central that inserted the bleeps and not South Park," a spokesman for the station said.

The apportioning of responsibility will come as a relief to devotees of the animation, who have grown accustomed to it treating nothing and nobody as sacred.

The Muhammad furore began last week in the show's 200th episode when the creators introduced the character as a riff on censorship. The joke was that Muhammad was dressed as a bear because he could not be shown as a cartoon in the wake of death threats made against Danish cartoonists by Islamist extremists, who see any depiction of Muhammad as a gross insult to their religion.

In the storyline, the prophet was brought into the show on the demand of previous victims of its satire, led by Tom Cruise, who believed that he could make them immune to further ridiculing. In this week's episode, the bear costume was unzipped to reveal that Santa Claus, not Muhammad, had been inside all along.

This was the second time that South Park had taken on the prophet as a subject. In 2006, soon after violent protests erupted against the Danish cartoons, Stone and Parker produced a double episode that featured the prophet and was also censored by Comedy Central.

In that case, however, there was no pickup from Islamist groups. The latest controversy has cast the light on Revolution Muslim, a group of probably fewer than 10 extremists based in New York who hand out leaflets outside the moderate 96th-street mosque.

It was founded by Yousef al-Khattab, a former secular Jew born Joseph Cohen who ran a bicycle pedicab in New York until he relocated to Morocco. He is shown in one photograph on the site carrying a machete with what look like suicide bombs strapped around his waist. The group has a record of making extremist statements, which it tempers with disclaimers that it is nonviolent to avoid legal trouble. One member, Younus Abdullah Muhammad, told CNN last year that the 9/11 attacks had been justified.

At other times, its website has called for wrath to fall "on the Jewish occupiers of Palestine. Please throw liquid drain cleaner in their faces."

"Many groups would be afraid to act like this for fear of arrest, but they clearly don't care," said Yehudit Barsky of the American Jewish Committee, which monitors the group.

Revolution Muslim put out a long statement in which it insisted that it was in favour of a rational dialogue with non-Muslims. But it accused South Park of having mocked the prophet, and cited Islamic scholars who ruled that "whoever curses the messenger of Allah must be killed".

Abdullah Muhammad, 30, defended the web posting by his group to Reuters.

"How is that a threat?" he told the news agency. "Showing a case study right there of what happened to another individual who conducted himself in a very similar manner? It's just evidence."

It is not clear whether Parker and Stone will feel the need to show they are unbowed by returning to the Muhammad theme next week. They are famous for putting the show together at the last minute to make it sharply topical.

But the controversy could deepen. Fans of the show on Wednesday posted in chatrooms on South Park's websites several Muhammad cartoons that would be far more offensive to Muslims than the animation itself. They included a drawing of Muhammad crying in a baby's nappy and saying: "Stop it! You hurt my feelings.""
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: South Park Censored

Post by Scott on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 1:11 am

I personally thought the censor made the whole episode funny as fuck.

Every beep when they said Muhammad and when they brought him out of a locker and it was just a missive censor bar, I was pissing myself!

Probably the best South Park episode I've ever seen.
Scott
The Lions Are At The Door

http://www.haioko.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ChumbaWumba on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 7:38 am

Yea sometimes censoring makes stuff sound way better haha.

Although it's silly that they receive death threats and stuff at the end of the day I think they should respect the views of religions, especially Islam which I think states that any pictures of Muhammed or Allah are insults to their image or summit.

They actually showed him before and there was no controversy but then following this radicalism on Islam extremism and stuff I think they shouldn't have gotten back into the issue, especially mocking censorship of it. Very funny but a bad move I think.
ChumbaWumba
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://www.facebook.com/absolutelucidity

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:12 pm

Everybody should watch the first 10 minutes of the Daily Show from Thursday in the US, Friday in the UK.

I want that gospel choir.
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by kappa99 on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 11:00 pm

ChumbaWumba91 wrote:Yea sometimes censoring makes stuff sound way better haha.

Although it's silly that they receive death threats and stuff at the end of the day I think they should respect the views of religions, especially Islam which I think states that any pictures of Muhammed or Allah are insults to their image or summit.

They actually showed him before and there was no controversy but then following this radicalism on Islam extremism and stuff I think they shouldn't have gotten back into the issue, especially mocking censorship of it. Very funny but a bad move I think.

When you consider how much of a mockery they make of jews/christians, its either fine for all, or fine for none.
Lets not foget the treatment Muslims give to Jews, and thats not a cartoon, thats real life. Its nothing short of bigoted, caveman esque behaviour.
It might sound like Im having a go at Muslim people-which Im not-muslim people themselves can be nice, they can be horrible-much like anyone else. Having studied Religious and Moral education, I can safely say that Islam is a pretty foul religion IMO, I know Christianity went through a similar spell a few hundred years ago, but the basic principles of Islam are pretty disgusting. (Not that any religions are perfect, and I know my own religion has many, many faults).
kappa99
A Flash Flood Of Colour

http://thezoneforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 11:23 pm

kappa99 wrote:Lets not foget the treatment Muslims give to Jews, and thats not a cartoon, thats real life. Its nothing short of bigoted, caveman esque behaviour.
You're the man.

I went to school in Central/East London...in classes, mainly history and R.E., some of the Muslim kids (who were the majority) would openly talk about how the holocaust was "jokes" and that Jews deserved it. It's fucking ridiculous. My best mate is a Muslim too though so I understand not all of them have these bigoted, thick as fuck views. I know a fair amount of Jewish folk too and honestly, you never hear them breathe a bad word. In my opinion, if you've been oppressed as severely as they have (even today it's socially acceptable to openly dog on them) then you'd be the religious group most likely to be abusive, racist and aggressive. But they just aren't, and I'll never fathom why people treat them with sheer disrespect.

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeyC on Mon 26 Apr 2010, 12:45 am

Statement from Matt and Trey on the South Park Studios website
In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it.
I really hope they actually release this episode uncensored when season 14 eventually comes out on DVD, the OTT censorship did make it pretty funny but knowing it wasn't intentional on Matt and Trey's part really sucks.
These extremist Muslim groups should just fuck off and die, it's ridiculous that everyone else has to pander to these fucknuts lest they genuinely face violent repercussions. Why should anyone respect their beliefs when they threaten anyone that doesn't believe what they do with violence.
MikeyC
Return To Energiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Malky on Mon 26 Apr 2010, 2:46 am

kappa99 wrote:Lets not foget the treatment Muslims give to Jews, and thats not a cartoon, thats real life. Its nothing short of bigoted, caveman esque behaviour.

That about sums it up.
Malky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Crunch on Wed 05 May 2010, 12:23 am

Scott wrote:I personally thought the censor made the whole episode funny as fuck.

Every beep when they said Muhammad and when they brought him out of a locker and it was just a missive censor bar, I was pissing myself!

Probably the best South Park episode I've ever seen.
I can't really argue with any of this :p
The Crunch
Nodding Acquaintance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top